Vessel name on Arrival: Harry R. Jones
Original Builder: Superior Shipbuilding Company, West Superior, USA
Original Yard No: 509
Official Number: 157696
Vessel Type: cargo
Year Built: 1903
Arrival Date: 15/02/1961
Breakup Started: 01/09/1961
Date First Beached: 15/02/1961
Date Breakup Completed: 22/02/1962
1903 : Launched as D. G. Kerr for Provident Steamship Coy., under Managers A. B. Wolvin
1911 : Managers became the Pittsburgh Steamship Coy.
1913 : Ownership became the Interlake Steamship Coy., and Managers became Pickands, Mather & Coy.
1916 : Renamed Harry R. Jones for Interlake Steamship Coy.
1956 : Ownership change to Cargo Carriers Inc., Wilmington, USA
1960 : Ownership change to Cargill Inc., Wilmington, USA
Traditional 'Laker' Bulk Carrier construction employed for transport of iron ore, coal and grain
Tonnages : 3,992 tons Net x 5,531 tons Gross
Dimensions : 468 feet x 52 feet x 28 feet
Steam Reciprocating Engine, developing 1,310 IHP when supplied with steam from two Water-Tube Boilers at a pressure of 250 lbs sq ins.
In 1958, the vessel was damaged following a grounding in the Detroit River. Repairs were not considered to be economically viable on this aging vessel and she was relegated too a grain storage hulk role at Buffalo Harbour for the following eighteen months.
In 1960 she was sold for scrapping by Cargo carriers Inc. of the United States, filled with scrap metal and, in early 1961, she was towed across the Atlantic where she was discharged at Glasgow. Following discharge, she was towed from the River Clyde, by the Greenock tugs Campaigner and Warrior, bound for The West of Scotland Shipbreaking facilities at Troon on the South Ayrshire coast. However, off the North Ayrshire coast, near Ardrossan Harbour, she broke loose from her tugs and went aground on rocks off the foreshore.
The first suitable high water occurred on 15-02-1962 when, with the tugs Campaigner and Warrior standing by, the tug Forager hauled the grounded vessel off the shore and back into deep water. Later on that same day she was delivered into the hands of the West of Scotland Shipbreaking Company Limited to begin breaking operations.