Duchess of Hamilton

Vessel name on Arrival: Duchess of Hamilton

Original Builder: Harland & Wolff, Govan, Glasgow

Original Yard No: 920 g

Official Number: 161968

Vessel Type: passenger

GRT: 811

Year Built: 1932

Arrival Date: 23/04/1974

Breakup Started:

Date First Beached:

Date Breakup Completed:

Draught For’d:

Draught Aft:

Name Changes:

 

1932 – 1948  :  Caledonian Steam Packet Company – Glasgow

1948 – 1957  :  British Transport Commission – Glasgow

1957 – 1971  :  Caledonian Steam Packet Company – Gourock

1971             :  J. Symo – Glasgow

1971             :  Reo Stakis Organisation – Glasgow

 

It was the intention to convert the vessel to a floating restaurant but this plan never materialised and she was laid up until 1974

 

24-04-1974  :  Arrived at the West of Scotland Shipbreaking Company of Troon for demolition – towed by Thunderer

 

 

Other Information:

 

Designed as a pasenger pleasure excursion steamer for cruising the Firth of Clyde, visiting many Clyde Coast ports such as Dunoon, Inverary, Dunoon, Millport, Rothesay, Tarbert, etc.

 

05-05-1932  :  Laid down

24-06-1932  :  Completed

 

Tonnages :    297 NRT              811 GRT                 155 DWT

 

Dimensions  :   262 ft.  x  32 ft.  x  10 ft.

 

Propulsion  :   Triple screws served by three direct-drive steam turbines offering a speed of 20.65 knots

 

Machinery  :  Manufactured by Harland & Wolff, Govan Yard

 

1956  :  Converted to oil fuel firing by Messrs James Lamont & Company of Greenock