Vessel name on Arrival: Duke of Argyll II
Original Builder: William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton
Original Yard No: 1194
Official Number: 128316
Vessel Type: passenger
Year Built: 1928
Arrival Date: 07/11/1956
Breakup Started: 12/11/1956
Date First Beached: 26/08/1957
Date Breakup Completed: 07/11/1957
Draught For’d: 12' 6"
Draught Aft: 14' 0"
1928 : launched as Duke of Argyll
1955 : renamed Duke of Argyll II in order to release the name for a new build
Passenger ferry for service on the Heysham – Belfast Irish Sea route.
Launched on 23rd January 1928 and completed in April 1928
Dimensions : 106.4 x 16.2 metres (360 ft x 53 ft)
Propulsion : Steam Turbines providing a service speed of 21 knots
During WWII the Duke of Argyll served as Hospital Ship No. 65, was also involved with the Dunkirk evacuation and in 1942 was converted to the role of Infantry Landing Ship with lifeboats removed and replaced by landing craft. At that time she was also used for Commando training, and did not resume her normal peacetime passenger-ferry role until January of 1946.