HMS Ariadne

Vessel name on Arrival: HMS Ariadne

Original Builder: Alexander Stephen of Linthouse, Glasgow

Original Yard No: 591

Official Number:

Vessel Type: Minelayer

GRT: 2650

Year Built: 1943

Arrival Date: 03/06/1965

Breakup Started: 06/06/1965

Date First Beached: 03/06/1965

Date Breakup Completed: 28/03/1966

Draught For’d: 5' 6"

Draught Aft: 6' 10"

Name Changes:

Other Information:

HMS ARIADNE was an Abdiel-Class Minelayer built for the Royal Navy                  Pennant No. M-65

 

10-10-1941  :   Laid Down

05-04-1943  :   Launched

12-02-1944  :   Completed

 

Tonnages   :   2,650 NRT   /   4,000 GRT

 

Dimensions   :   418 feet   x   40 feet   x   16 feet               (127.4 metres  x  12.2metres  x  4.9 metres)

 

Propulsion  :   Two geared steam turbines developing 72,000 SHP for a speed of 40 knots

 

Boilers   :    Four  x  Admiralty 3-Drum Boilers

 

Complement  :   242 Officers and Ratings

 

Armaments

4  x  4-inch A.A. Guns

4  x  40 mm Bofors Guns

12  x  20 mm Oerlikon Cannon Guns

160 Nos.  Naval Mines

 

 

The Career of HMS Ariadne

Her first duty was to lay mines off the coast of Norway. She was also one of the ships taking part in Operation Stonewall. She then left Home waters in January 1944 to join the United States Seventh Fleet in the Pacific Ocean theatre of war.

 

In June 1944 she laid 146 mines off the northern coast of New Guinea, and when landings were made in the Mapia Group of islands in November 1944, HMS Ariadne was used to carry US Army soldiers. During her period of active service she laid 1,352 mines.

 

After the end of the war, HMS Ariadne was used to repatriate British prisoners of war from Japan and as a mailship due to her speed. She was paid off into the Reserve Fleet at Sheerness, and did not see service again, apart from a short trial after a refit in the 1950s. This involved the replacement of her light anti-aircraft guns with more modern weapons.

 

She was finally sold to W.H. Arnott Young for scrapping and arrived at Dalmuir in February 1965. She was then partially dismantled at Dalmuir with final demolition by the West of Scotland Shipbreaking Compnay of Troon, where she arrived in early June 1965.