HMS Emerald

Vessel name on Arrival: HMS Emerald

Original Builder: Armstrong, Whitworth & Company, High Walker

Original Yard No: 956

Official Number:

Vessel Type: cruiser

GRT:

Year Built: 1926

Arrival Date: 04/07/1948

Breakup Started: 08/07/1948

Date First Beached: 11/05/1949

Date Breakup Completed: 26/11/1949

Draught For’d:

Draught Aft:

Name Changes:

Other Information:

Light Cruiser HMS Emerald                      Pennants D-66 / I-66

 

23-09-1918  :  Laid Down

19-05-1920  :  Launched

14-01-1926  :  Completed    (Completed by H.M. Dockyard, Chatham)

 

Battle Honours :        Atlantic 1939 – 1940          Normandy 1944

 

Convoys          :         Escorted a total of 22 Convoys during the war years

 

 

 

Built by Armstrong of Elswick, laid down 23-Sep-1918, launched 19-May-1920, completed at Chatham Dockyard and commissioned 15-Jan-1926.

 

On completion went to the East Indies to join the 4th Cruiser Squadron. Returned home 15-July-1933.

 

After completing a refit on 31-Aug-1934 went back to the East Indies, remaining there until Sep1937. After which she returned to the UK and went into Reserve.

 

When WW2 started, joined the 12th Cruiser Squadron, on northern patrol work in September 1939.  After a short time she went to the Atlantic for convoy escort duties.  Remained there until 1940.  Between October 1939 and August 1940, transferred £58 million in gold to Canada.

 

Transferred to the Indian Ocean 1941 and escorted troop convoys to the Middle East. Stood by in the Persian Gulf in April 1941 during Iraq operations.  With the entry of Japan into the war, went to the Eastern Fleet as part of the 'Fast Group' and became Flagship in March 1942.

 

Returned to Portsmouth in August 1942 for a refit which lasted until April 1943.  Then it was back again to the 4th Cruiser Squadron with the Eastern Fleet for escort duties.

 

Returned to the UK in time for the Normandy landings and formed part of Force 'K' in supporting the landings at Gold Beach.  In January 1945, she went into Reserve and, in 1947, was allocated for target trials.  During these she foundered in Kames Bay, Rothesay, on 24th October 1947.  Refloated 9th June 1948, sold for scrapping 23rd June 1948, and arrived at Troon on 5th July 1948 for breaking up.