HMS Lagan

Vessel name on Arrival: HMS Lagan

Original Builder: Smith's Dockyard, South Bank-on-Tees, Middlesbrough

Original Yard No: 1105

Official Number:

Vessel Type: frigate

GRT: 1370

Year Built: 1941

Arrival Date: 04/07/1946

Breakup Started: 29/07/1946

Date First Beached: 11/10/1946

Date Breakup Completed: 26/12/1946

Draught For’d: 4' 6"

Draught Aft: 6' 0"

Name Changes:

Other Information:

'River' Class Patrol Frigate  –  Pennant Number  :  K 259

 

03-07-1942  :  Ordered by the Admiralty

07-01-1942  :  Keel Laid Down

28-07-1942  :  Launched

02-12-1942  :  Completed

21-12-1942  :  Commissioned

 

DWT :  1,830 tons

Dimensions :  91.8 m  x  11.1 m

 

Propulsion :  2 x 4-Cylinder Triple-Expansion Steam Reciprocating Engines developing 5,500 IHP

 

Speed :  20 knots

 

In the early hours of 20th September 1943, whilst serving as part of the escort for a Liverpool-New York outward-bound  Convoy ON-202, HMS Lagan was torpedoed by U-270 in the North Atlantic, sustaining critical stern damage and the loss of 28 seamen. The torpedo was a Gnat accoustic type – the first use of this new weapon against an Allied vessel.

She herself had been involved in previous actions on 12th and 13th of May 1943, resulting in the sinking of the German submarines U-89 and U-753.

Following her torpedoing, she was taken in tow to a UK Port, where she was duly declared a total constructive loss. She was sold for breaking on 21-05-1946 and arrived at the West of Scotland Shipbreaking facility in Troon on 5th of July 1946.