HMS Sultan

Vessel name on Arrival: HMS Sultan

HMS Sultan HMS SULTAN as she appeared originally

Original Builder: Chatham Dockyard, Chatham

Original Yard No:

Official Number:

Vessel Type: battleship

GRT: 9290

Year Built: 1871

Arrival Date: 06/05/1947

Breakup Started: 14/05/1947

Date First Beached: 20/08/1947

Date Breakup Completed: 06/12/1947

Draught For’d: 8' 0"

Draught Aft: 12' 3"

Name Changes:

1906  :  Name changed to Fisgard IV

1932  :  Name reverted to HMS Sultan

Other Information:

Built as a Broadside Ironclad Battleship, 2nd Class, for the Royal Navy by Chatham Dockyard, this large armoured ship, of iron construction, gave no less than 76 years service.

 

29-02-1868  :  Keel laid down                                                                     Length  :  103 metres

31-05-1870  :  Launched                                                                             Beam    :   18 metres

10-10-1871  :  Completed                                                                            Draught :     8 metres

 

Complement :

633 men

 

Propulsion :

Fully rigged sailing vessel with a total sail area of 49,400 square feet. 

She also had a 1-shaft Penn Steam Trunk Engine that developed 7,720 IHP

Under sail she could achieve 6 knots

Under steam power she could achieve 14.1 knots

 

1871 – 1876  :  Served in the English Channel

1876 – 1879  :  Served in the Mediterranean

then placed in Reserve until 1882 when she was retuired to the Mediterranean once more.

 

On 6th March 1889, she struck an unchartered rock in the Comino Channel, off Malta, and sank.  She was eventuially raised by an Italian salvage Firm and, after repairs in Malta, was towed back to Portsmouth.

 

Although refitted and modernised between 1893 – 1896, her obsolescent muzzle-loading guns were retained, which rendered her useless as a fighting ship by that time.  Nevertheless she was retained in Reserve until 1906 when stricken.

 

On 01-01-1906 she was renamed HMS FISGARD IV, but in 1932 in her new role as a Training Hulk, she was again renamed HMS SULTAN.

 

After various service periods as a Training Ship and Repair Ship, she served throughout WWII as a Depot Ship for Minesweepers operating out of Portsmouth.

 

On 13–08-1946, after 76 years service, the old ironclad was sold for breaking and arrived at Dalmuir on the Clyde for this purpose on 08-10-1946.  By May 1947, she had been reduced to a hulk and was delivered to the West of Scotland Shipbreaking Company at Troon for finishing off.