Vessel name on Arrival: Eastcoates
Original Builder: Cook, Welton & Gemmell of Beverley, Hull
Original Yard No: 399
Official Number: 143925
Vessel Type: trawler
Year Built: 1918
Arrival Date: 22/07/1955
Breakup Started: 01/08/1955
Date First Beached: 01/11/1955
Date Breakup Completed: 04/01/1956
Draught For’d: 4' 6"
Draught Aft: 15' 6"
27-07-1918 : Launched as S.S. JOHN GRAHAM for The Admiralty
20-01-1919 : Completed as Minesweeper and fitted out with 1 x 12-pounder gun
30-05-1919 : On loan to the USN for clearing the North Sea Mine Barrage
12-08-1919 : Returned to The Admiralty
28-01-1920 : Registered as a Fishing Vessel by The Admiralty – LO 268 – laid up at Brightlingsea
31-10-1921 : Renamed S.S. Ruby for Kingston Steam Trawling Coy. Ltd. (Manager – Walter Scott)
14-12-1921 : London Registry closed
31-12-1921 : Registered at Hull – H 393
18-02-1935 : Sold to J. Marr & Son Limted, Fleetwood. (Manager Geoffrey .E. Marr)
24-10-1935 : Registered at Hull as S.S. Eastcoates – H 393
07-02-1937 : Transferred to Fleetwood
28-08-1939 : Requisitioned for war service as a Minesweeper
Sept. 1939 : Fitting out at Dover
26-10-1939 : Returned to Owner
14-11-1939 : Sold to The City Steam Fishing Co Ltd, Hull. (Leslie James Marr, Manager)
25-08-1940 : Requisitioned for war service – Minesweeper (FY.1771) Based Belfast with M/S Group 140.
27-04-1945 : Returned to owner
01-07-1945 : Reclassed at Hull. Transferred to Fleetwood.
28-04-1947 : Sold to Odafoam Ltd, Liverpool (William Stevenson, St. Anne’s-on-the-Sea, Manager)
03-08-1950 : Sold to J. Marr & Son Ltd, Fleetwood (Geoffrey Edwards Marr, Manager)
31-01-1953 : Sheltering off Black Head, Belfast Lough (Sk. David Brewster), responded to distress call from Stranraer-Belfast ferry, PRINCESS VICTORIA (2694g/1947), flooded, listing and subsequently foundering. With other vessels, closed on scene of casualty about 1500hrs and picked up seven personnel, only one alive (Sk. Brewster awarded MBE for his actions).
1955 : Sold to BISCO and allocated to West of Scotland Shipbreaking Co Ltd, Troon for breaking up.
23-7-1955 : Delivered Troon Harbour under own power from Fleetwood.
Castle-Class steam trawler built to Admiralty standards Admiralty No. FY 3778
Tonnages : Net = 108 tons Gross = 290 tons
Dimensions : Length = 125.5 feet x Breadth = 23.5 feet x Depth = 12.7 feet
Propulsion : 480 IHP Triple-Expansion 3-cylinder steam reciprocating engine and boiler
Machinery Manufacturer : Amos & Smith Limited of Hull.
Vessel Speed : 10.5 knots