Morgan Jones

Vessel name on Arrival: Morgan Jones

Original Builder: Fletcher, Son and Fearnall, Limehouse, London

Original Yard No: 4

Official Number: 143830

Vessel Type: navaltrawler

GRT: 278

Year Built: 1918

Arrival Date: 22/03/1957

Breakup Started: 27/03/1957

Date First Beached: 12/06/1957

Date Breakup Completed: 12/09/1957

Draught For’d: 5' 3"

Draught Aft: 15' 0"

Name Changes:

10-03-1918  :  Completed for The Admiralty with 1 x 12-pounder, Hydros & W/T – No. 3845

 

01-01-1919  :  Deckhand Murdo Morrison, 48, a seaman from Lemreway, Lochs, Isle of Lewis, who had

                          been proceeding home on leave on board HMT Iolaire, was drowned with hundreds of others

                          when HMY Iolaire sank outside Stornoway Harbour entrance.

 

02-06-1919  :  Registered as a fishing vessel by The Admiralty with Reg. No. LO 116

1920              :  Acquired by Mills Steam Shipping Company of London – Managers Brand & Curzon

 

Fishing from 13 January 1920 through 15 October 1930

 

Nov    1930  :  Transferred to Hull

 

Until pre-war, engaged in Fishery Protection duties in the Nore, Humber and Hull areas.

 

02-06-1940  :  Requisitioned by the Admiralty and converted for Aux. Patrol Duties – Pennant No. 4.114

1942              :  Acquired by Dinas Steam Trawling Company Limited of Fleetwood –

                          (Managers David N. Marr.    Based on the Tyne at this time)

 

April 1945     :  Returned to Owners

 

08-11-1945  :  London Registry closed and re-registered out of Fleetwood as FD 129

 

Fishing from 1945 through 1957

 

March 1957  :  Vessel sold to BISCO for breaking.

22-03-1957  :  Vessel arrived at WSSCL, Troon, under own steam, from Fleetwood.

 

25-11-1957  :  Fleetwood registration closed

 

Other Information:

 

Castle-Class Ketch-Rigged Steam Side-Trawler S.S. MORGAN JONES built for the Royal Navy

Single-screw coal-buring steam trawler with 61 RHP steam reciprocating machinery

Triple-Expansion 3-Cylinder Engine manufactured by Fraser & Chalmers of Erith

 

Vessel built by Messrs Fletcher Fearnall Limited of Limehouse, London, as Yard No. 4

 

Vessel launched and completed on 10th of March 1918

 

Dimensions  :   125 ft.  x  23.5 ft.  x  12.7 ft.

 

Tonnages  :   116 tons – Net                     278 tons – Gross

 

 

ANECDOTAL ITEMS

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 13th January 1928 

MILFORD MAN HONOURED    :     A SEAMAN'S HEROISM

 

A pitch black night, a heavy sea running and a bitterly cold driving rain falling; a trawler 360 miles from land battling against the elements – men groping on the deck in the darkness.  Then, above the wail of the wind, the cry – "Man overboard!"

 

No time for conferences, no time for plans. Action!  Practically simultaneously with the shout which is enough to send the blood tingling through one's body, there was a second splash, a hero, the would-be rescuer, was in the icy water groping, trying and endeavouring to catch a glimpse of his comrade and mess-mate.

 

And here we have to strike the sad note, for the body of the first man was not saved.  He was drowned, and Arthur Leggatt, of the steam trawler Morgan Jones, returned to his ship alone.

 

THE SEQUEL :

Now we return to land, and to an interesting ceremony which took place at the Council Chamber, Milford Haven, on Monday night.  Councillor Richard John, Chairman of the Milford Haven Urban District Council, was in the chair, and speaking with feeling in addressing his audience, which included the hero of the Morgan Jones, he explained that they were gathered there that night to do honour to one of their fellow townsmen.  He then proceeded to recall the facts of that awful 21st night of October, 1927, when, during the fierce gale and without any thought for himself or his loved ones at home, Mr. Leggatt jumped overboard into a tempestuous and raging sea in an endeavour to rescue a shipmate.

 

The Chairman then announced that the Royal Humane Society had thought fit and proper to inscribe Mr. Leggatt's name on the Roll of Honour. 

 

From the West Wales Guardian of Friday 13th March 1931:

Skipper Weymouth and the crew of the steam trawler "Morgan Jones" (Brand and Curzon) have added to the fame of our fishermen for gallantry and good seamanship.   He found a schooner, laden with coals from Garstang to Falmouth, with her sails blown away, and helplessly drifting on to the rocky coast of the Irish Channel.  With great difficulty and in great danger, they managed to get a line aboard her, and towed her into Fishguard.  The crew are all safe.

 

( No images of the vessel found to date )