Vessel name on Arrival: Laird's Isle
Original Builder: William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton
Original Yard No: 937
Official Number: 132546
Vessel Type: Passenger
Year Built: 1911
Arrival Date: 09/10/1957
Breakup Started: 17/10/1957
Date First Beached: 04/02/1958
Date Breakup Completed: 07/04/1958
Draught For’d: 12' 00"
Draught Aft: 11' 10"
1911 : Launched as RIVIERA for the South East & Chatham Railway, London
1923 : Owners name changed to Southern Railway Company, London without change of vessel name
1914 : Requisitioned by Admiralty, now HMS RIVIERA Pendant No. N85
1920 : Reverted to original mercantile service name of RIVIERA
1932 : Acquired by Messrs Burns & Laird Lines of Glasgow and renamed LAIRD'S ISLE
1939 : Requisitioned by Admiralty for war service with Pendant No. 4.21 and name retained
1945 : Returned to Burns & Laird without further name changes
Launched : 01-04-1911 Completed : June 1911
Propulsion by three Parsons steam turbines, each driving an independent shaft/screw, developing 850 NHP when supplied with steam from five of the installed six coal-fired Babcock & Wilcox Water-Tube Boilers, to provide a service speed of 20.5 knots. After acquisition by Burns and Laird, she was converted to oil-firing by Ardrossan Dockyard.
Under the Southern Railways Company she saw service on the Dover – Calais route.
Under Burns & Laird she saw service on the Belfast – Ardossan route.
During WWI she saw service as a Seaplane Carrier
During WWII she saw service as an Armed Boarding Vessel and later as a Landing Ship Infantry