Vessel name on Arrival: HMS Sandhurst
Original Builder: Harland & Wolff of Belfast
Original Yard No: 374
Official Number: 120913
Vessel Type: navalstores_ship
Year Built: 1906
Arrival Date: 27/12/1946
Breakup Started: 13/02/1947
Date First Beached: 27/12/1946
Date Breakup Completed: 20/06/1947
Draught For’d: 5' 0"
Draught Aft: 6' 6"
15-12-1905 : Launched as cargo-ship S.S. MANIPUR for T & J Brocklebank of Liverpool
13-01-1906 : Completed and entered into commercial liner service
In 1915, served as the dummy vessel HMS INDOMITABLE at the beginning of WWI
In Septemeber 1916, this cargo liner was converted by the Yard of Messrs Workman, Clark & Company of Belfast to the role of a Destroyer depot/repair depot ship for escort vessels, involving the erection of moulding and fitting-out shops, foundry, smithy and various other shops that would facilittate the fuction of this vessel to effect any repairs necessary to Destroyers without the need for them to return to port. Vessel renamed HMS SANDHURST Pennant No. F92.
Served at Dover 1939 – 1940 then initially at Londonderry, Northern Ireland, and later, at Greenock of the Firth of Clyde, in her Admiralty role as a Naval Support Ship.
14-12-1905 : Launched
13-01-1906 : Completed
7,654 tons – gross
11,.500 tons – displacement
Dimensions : Length – 485 feet Beam – 58 feet
Steam propulsion rated at 4,000 IHP to provide a service speed of 10.5 knots
Armaments : 4 x 4 inch Guns + 1 x 3 inch A.A. Guns
Whilst at Dover the vesel was badly damaged by aerial torpedo and set on fire.
Arrived down at the WSSCL as hulk from Dalmuir