Vessel name on Arrival: Spaburn
Original Builder: Philip & Son of Dartmouth
Original Yard No: 1128
Official Number: 180850
Vessel Type: navaltanker
Year Built: 1946
Arrival Date: 30/08/1977
Date First Beached:
Date Breakup Completed:
RFA Spaburn (Pennant Nos. X 122 / A 257) a Water Carrier Tanker built for the Admiralty.
Propulsion 3-cylinder triple expansion steam reciprocating engine developing 675 SHP to give 9 knots.
04-09-1948 : At Chatham alongside HMS Jutland supplying fresh water
29-05-1952 : At Chatham alongside HMS Campania delivering fresh water
31-05-1952 : At Chatham alongside HMS Campania delivering fresh water
06-06-1952 : At Sheerness alongside HMS Plymn, moored on No 6 Buoy and supplied 15 tons of fresh water
15-08-1953 : Brought forward from being in reserve at Malta.
Captain Stephen J Pethurst RFA appointed as Master and Mr W Hynd RFA appointed as Acting Chief Engineer Officer. Nineteen crew were signed on from unemployed Maltese Seafarers – six able seaman, one bosun, one steward, one cook, an assistant steward, three fireman, two donkeyman greasers, two catering boys, donkeyman and a pumpman.
17-08-1953 : Sailed Malta with 500 tons of water for Greek islands devastated by earthquake damage.
31-10-1956 : Supported Operation Musketeer – the Suez Crisis – along with 34 other RFA’s.
28-12-1956 : Entered Grand Harbour, Malta after the Anglo-French Forces withdrawl from Port Said.
1963 – 1971 : On and around the River Clyde
1971 : Placed in Reserve
24-06-1977 : Sold to W.H.Arnott Young & Co Ltd of Dalmuir, Scotland for scrapping
August 1977: Arrived Dalmuir for demolition and later despatched to WSSCL Troon