Vessel name on Arrival: Marie Lamey
Original Builder: W. J. Yarwood & Son of Northwich
Original Yard No: 625
Official Number: 167522
Vessel Type: tug
Year Built: 1940
Arrival Date: 16/08/1967
Breakup Started: 29/12/1967
Date First Beached: 12/02/1968
Date Breakup Completed: 26/08/1968
Draught For’d: 6' 00"
Draught Aft: 12' 06"
Launched as S.S. Sparkler for the Admiralty
11-06-1957 : Sold to J. H. Lamey Limited of Liverpool – Managers William H. Lamey of Liverpool
July 1957 : Vessel renamed S.S. Alfred Lamey
December 1966 : Vessel renamed S.S. Marie Lamey to release name for a new-building vessel
1967 : Laid up in April and offered for sale. Sold to Northern Slipways Limited of Dublin, but remained in LIverpool, then vessel was re-sold to the West of Scotland Shipbreaking Company of Troon.
This was the last coal-burning ship-towing Merseyside tug.
90 ft x 22 ft x 11 ft
Triple expansion steam reciprocating engine manufactured by vessel Builder (12" x 20" x 34" x 24 inch stroke)
On completion, allocated to the shore establishment of HMS Ferret (Londonderry)
02-10-1953 : Grounded along with Empire Demon when attending the French steamer S.S. Formigny at Londonderry, the latter vessel having grounded on a mud bank next to the Aberfoyle Light.
03-10-1953 : All three vessels sucessfully refloated undamaged
The vessel was fitted out with a Kort Rudder Nozzle in 1958
(Photograph below, courtesy of Alan Hughes, showing vessel in Clover's Dry-Dock No. 2 (Birkenhead) in 1958 when changing from Sparkler to Alfred Lamey. Other images taken from TT Forum but origin and source not known)